Saturday, March 24, 2007

Sharing Part 2

A way my teaching partner and I created more of that extremely valuable resource in school, time, was by bringing both of our classes together for read aloud. Two days a week she brings her class to my room and I read to both classes. She also reads to both classes for two days of the week as well. This allows one of us to have 20 to 30 minutes of prep time each day we do read aloud. One thing we have done to allow our students to practice reading in front of a group is to have two students each week (Very Important Person or Star students of the week) read a favorite book to the classes during one of my read aloud times. Then during my teaching partner's time one day we have students from both classes read their writing samples and stories they created to the whole group. Students really think about which of the writing samples they want to share and they enjoy receiving feedback from their peers. Very much like blogging. Let me know if you have any creative ways to build in more prep time.

No comments: